Flash Fiction Online
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
FLASH FICTION ONLINE IS CURRENTLY CLOSED TO ALL SUBMISSION CATEGORIES!
We plan to open submissions again on January 1, 2021. Please check back to this page for the latest status update.
Thank you for thoroughly reading our guidelines!
Updated: 12 September 2019
Flash Fiction Online is an open-genre publication and is currently OPEN to all submission categories. Please no erotica, graphic sex, or egregious violence. We also frown on the gratuitous use of expletives.
Flash Fiction Online accepts REPRINTS. Please submit in the REPRINT category. Payment is $.02 (two cents) per word. All other guidelines apply.
Flash Fiction Online strives to publish fiction that presents the full variety of humanity in its pages. As such, we encourage submissions from writers of every stripe.
What are we looking for?
We consider flash fiction a complete story in a tiny package. We want developed, empathetic characters and discernible, resolved plots. Please no non-fiction or poetry.
- Open Office or Libre Office users: Due to an incompatibility issue, when an Open Office or Libre Office file is converted to a .doc file the last line of text disappears in our Submittable Document Viewer. To prevent this from happening to your story, PLEASE add a blank line at the end of your story by hitting 'Enter' after the last line. For good measure, add 'END' followed by a blank line.
- Please do not use Flash Fiction Online to fulfill school assignments.
- We are currently not accepting parent/child themed stories or stories set in a bar/saloon/tavern.
THE IMPORTANT STUFF:
1. WE ACCEPT ORIGINAL, UNPUBLISHED FICTION. Stories published previously may be submitted to our REPRINT category.
2. STORY LENGTH: 500 to 1000 WORDS. Stories of fewer than 500 words or more than 1000 words will be immediately rejected. No exceptions.
3. NO SIMULTANEOUS SUBMISSIONS. No exceptions.
4. WE DO ACCEPT MULTIPLE SUBMISSIONS. You may have up to three stories in our slush pile at any given time. Each story must be submitted separately.
5. OMIT ALL AUTHOR IDENTIFYING INFORMATION FROM THE STORY FILE. This includes name, address, phone, email, etc. Make sure to remove author information from bylines, headers, and footers, the file name, etc. Include author information in the cover letter box of the submission form only.
6. INDICATED SCENE BREAKS ARE REQUIRED! Please denote scene breaks with # or *.
7. We DO NOT accept 3rd-party translations--translations of stories that are not the intellectual property of the submitter.
(The stuff that will make a good impression)
1. ON FONT: The Editor MUCH prefers Times New Roman. Courier fonts are severely frowned upon.
2. ON MANUSCRIPT FORMATTING: Standard Manuscript Format, but with all author information removed from the manuscript.
3. ON PARAGRAPHS: Use them.
5. ON ORIGINALITY: We see many of the same types of stories, as well as many types of stories with themes we simply don’t enjoy. Check out this short list of Hard Sells.
WANT MORE? NAVIGATING SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
ON RESPONSE TIME AND QUERIES: We are an open submission market. Please don’t query prior to submitting. Query only to ask about the status of an already-submitted story. Our response time ranges from 2 days to 10 weeks. Please do not query until at least 8 weeks after submission. Send queries to email@example.com. Include QUERY in the subject line.
Due to the number of submissions we receive, we are unable to give personal feedback or critiques. Please don't ask.
Publication in Flash Fiction Online counts toward the requirements for membership in the Science Fiction Writers of America (SFWA).
Although the SFWA recognizes this magazine as a professional market, we frequently publish literary fiction and other genres.
Payment and Rights
As of September 1, 2019, we pay eighty dollars ($80) per story for original fiction. Original fiction means 'previously unpublished.' This payment provides us with first electronic rights, including HTML, PDF, plain text, and MP3 (audio) formats. Distribution will be through the Flash Fiction Online website and a variety of other electronic means, including but not exclusively epub, mobi, and pdf. This payment also provides us with a non-exclusive one-time right to publish the stories in an anthology.
For reprints, we pay $.02 (two cents) per word for non-exclusive rights.
All other rights for the work remain with the author.
Want to know more about us?
Editor in Chief
Flash Fiction Online